Cape Town and Johannesburg
What do we offer?
- Sales of new and pre-owned Kawai pianos, authentically rebuilt Steinways and a range of pre-owned pianos from entry to professional level
- Sales of new and pre-owned Kawai digital pianos
- Authentic Steinway rebuilding
- Restoration of any upright or grand pianos that warrant the work
- Cabinet re-finishing, including hard wearing satin, high gloss Steinway level and French Polish
- General repair and servicing of home and school pianos
- Specialised per day servicing for Steinway owners and anyone with high demands from their piano
Why Choose Ian Burgess-Simpson Pianos?
- We focus on the use that each customer needs from their piano
- We offer the full range of products and services to meet most customer needs
- Our technical expertise is unique in South Africa, including having 7 tuner technicians with Advanced Training from Steinway in Hamburg
- These skills allow us to achieve superior results on any pianos, from small home uprights to new Concert Steinways
- The Steinway approach to pianos achieves optimum results in a time efficient way – as is needed on the concert platform
- This means you get excellent value for money
Who are our customers?
- Approximately 3 000 private customers nationwide
- Bishops, Herschel, Rondebosch Boys, SACS, St Cyprians, Westerford, Western Province Prep, King David Linksfield, The National School of Arts…
- Baxter Concert Hall – Cape Town
- Linder Auditorium – Johannesburg
- Cape Philharmonic Orchestra – Cape Town
- Rhodes University – Grahamstown
- South African College of Music – University of Cape Town
- College of the Arts – Windhoek, Namibia
- King’s College School – Wimbledon, London
- Professional pianists – Albie van Schalkwyk, Catherine Foxcroft, Charl du Plessis (Steinway Artist), Christopher Duigan (Steinway Artist), Francois du Toit, Franklin Larey, Jason Reolon, Jill Richards (Steinway Artist), Malcolm Nay…
Who are we?
In terms of size, expertise and range of customer bases we are a piano company that’s unique in Africa and ranks with the very best piano operations internationally.
Our technicians travel nationally to work on pianos of all kinds – doing what we excel at – enhancing performance and adding value to any piano we work on.
The company was started in 1997 by Ian Burgess-Simpson, the only technician in the country to have attended The Steinway Academy for Concert Technicians in Hamburg. He trained under Steinway’s Chief Concert Technician for Europe and Asia, Georges Amman. Only a few candidates are accepted annually from around the world to attend The Steinway Academy.
Having successfully passed their examinations, Ian is also a Registered Piano Technician (RPT) with the American Piano Technicians Guild.
Ian is still very active in concert work and Steinway rebuilding and does most of the training of technical staff, so the company has a deep culture of craftsmanship.
There are currently 22 staff in the company, all very dedicated to the company’s ethical service and sales standards.
With this level of expertise we rank with top international piano companies.
A note on credentials
Any technician with Advanced Training at Steinway has proof of this achievement, and Steinway will confirm their attendance.
A Registered Piano Technician (RPT) has passed the American Guild examinations. Associate members have no qualifications or claim to this level of expertise. The PTG website lists this information and you can click here to check the status of a technician.